Organizing your move: Unpacking

Monday, July 22, 2013

Happy Monday everyone.  So far I am loving my new home although there is still so much to do.  The walls needs new paint, the bathrooms need updating, the rooms need to be decorated, the kids room and playroom need a theme, and all of the rooms are in need of organizing.  But before I can start any of those projects I need to unpack my belongings.  My items were delivered last Monday, July 15, 2013 and I've discarded a few boxes but there is still so much to do.

When unpacking, there has to be a method to the madness (you should have packed your old home with you new home in mind.  If you did this you should have a general idea of where you want everything to go).  My method is as follows:

1.  Have a box marked "Unpack first" with all of the items needed to survive the first night.  In this box you should have cleaning supplies, sheets for all beds, towels, soap, sleepwear and clothing for the next day.
2.  Start unpacking the kitchen first.  As they say....."the kitchen is the heart of the home".  Make sure you've clearly marked all boxes so that you know their contents.  I unpacked my kitchen in two days and was able to have a home cooked meal on my 2nd day in the house.
Here is an after picture....Sorry I didn't take a before picture but I was in fast forward mode ripping through boxes.







3.  If you have children you should unpack the toys next with their help. This is very important as you want the kids to have something to do while you unpack the rest of the house besides running around aimlessly.  As you can see there are toys everywhere but hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to make some progress.  I plan on making  a trip to IKEA.





4.  Next you should start unpacking the bedrooms.  If you or your spouse have to go to work start with the master bedroom so that you can still pay the bills and then move on to the kids room (if you have children.)  If you have enough time off start with the kids room so that they (and you) can have some normalcy (bedtime routines etc.).
Master closet (work in progress)

Master bedroom (boxes left to unpack)

Master bedroom (of course another TV)


If you are anything like my family you need a little television in your life.  The day we closed I was on the phone with the cable company setting up an appointment.
5.  The family room and/or media room should be fairly easy as it is a matter of getting your television put up and making sure the furniture is as you want it.  Decorating comes later.


Family Room

Family Room (of course the Tv is ip)

Media Room (of course the TV is already up)

6.  At this point, you can unpack whatever room you want next...formal living room, dinning room, garage, storage area etc. as these rooms are not essential in our everyday life.


And the finale of the day....My son is officially a snagger tooth and proud of it.....I guess I have to find that $5 as it is the fifth tooth he has lost so far.

I hope these tips will be of some help to you.  What is your method to unpack?  Do you have any pointers for me? Enjoy!

Welcome to my world!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment